Pages

Monday, February 10, 2014

There's No Weather Like Summer (click, click)...

Dorothy just had to click her pretty little red heels together and repeat "there's no place like home; there's no place like home; there's no place like home..." and voila, she was back in Kansas.  Here I am, clicking my snow boots together and saying "there's no weather like summer; there's no weather like summer; there's no weather like summer..." but nothing is happening!
Is it just me or has this winter been worse than normal for most everyone in the country?  Oklahoma is even getting inches of snow that sticks around for days!  That never happens.  Although the snow has not been terribly bad here (yes we have a couple of feet frozen to the yard but that's just South Dakota), it's the temperatures that are brutal.  In the blog post describing my daily routine (you can find the post here) I wrote that I take the dogs for a walk in the morning "if above 0F".  Believe it or not, that means I have not been able to take the dogs out in weeks!!!  I wake up, check www.weather.com and we're lucky if the high for the day even gets to the teens.  Today when I woke up it was -16F with a wind chill of -30F.  That's cold people!  The dogs are going stir crazy, so is Baby J and SO AM I!!

Complaining about the winter weather is not going to change it though so I figured I'd better change my attitude.  With a better attitude in tow I tried to come up with a list of "Why Winter is Wonderful".  Here's what I got so far:
  1. The dogs shed less in the winter therefore I have less hair to vacuum/sweep up every day.
  2. Below freezing temperatures = less bugs in the house (I hate spiders!)
  3. Winter weather means I can make soup for as many meals as I wish; it never gets old (our recent favorites - lentils and potato soup).
  4. Winter is the only time my hubby is willing to cuddle/snuggle with me while we watch a movie or at night (otherwise he gets too hot).
  5. I love drinking coffee while watching the snow fall outside.  There's just something about winter and coffee; they go together like peanut butter & chocolate (I prefer that combo over the classic PB&J).
Well that's all I have folks.  Do you have anything to add?  We're trying to keep it positive and enjoy the outdoors any chance we get.  One day it got up to 40F and we loved it!  Well maybe not so much Baby J, but I'm trying to convince him that snow can be fun.  


2 comments:

  1. I was wondering…do you take Baby J out when you walk the dogs or do you go so early that he gets to say home with daddy!? Or is it a family putting?! I can barely bring myself to leave the house, I can't imagine taking the baby out in it!!! STAY WARM FRIEND!!!! It's so cold here too!!! I have always said, if it's not going to snow on Christmas it has until January 1 and if there is no snow then I am ready for summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HJH, no, Baby J stays home with daddy and helps him get ready for work while I take the dogs out. If it's above 40F that's when I start to think about taking Baby J on a walk, but it has to be a sunny, warm, and non-windy 40F!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, leave a comment, I dare you.