Pages

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

A Go-To Recipe: Cuban Beans & Rice

I am a planner, especially in the kitchen.  I like to plan out my dinner menu for the week and actually write it out on a dry erase board.  I can simply look at the menu board in the morning and decide what time I'll start prepping dinner that day based on the amount of time the recipe takes to prepare.

My strategy has changed a little bit over time.  Back in the days of the honeymoon phase when it was just the two of us, I used to pick recipes I wanted to try and buy groceries based on those recipes.  Now I watch store ads, buy groceries based around the sales and then choose recipes based on what I already have.  Its much more cost effective and easier on our budget.

Most weeks work like how I described above but there are weeks like this week where we just got back from a trip and I have yet to go to the grocery store.  That means I don't have much in my fridge and I'm relying on pantry items.  For days like today I have some recipes that I always turn to, one of them being Cuban Beans & Rice from The Best of Cooking Light Everyday Favorites cookbook (page 117).  It's hearty, it's easy, it's cheap and the ingredients can be flexible.

When I don't have bell peppers on hand, I swap those for chopped carrots.  The flavor doesn't change and it still adds a burst of color.  I don't always have broth on hand but I always have bouillon (my current favorite is Better than Bouillon, it's the only bouillon I have found to not contain MSG), so in place of the broth I add an extra 2 cups water and the equivalent amount of bouillon (2 tsp in my case).  You probably don't have all the necessary spices but it's an up front cost that will pay off in the end.  One jar of spice will last you a long time and it is necessary for flavor in this recipe (especially the fennel seeds!).  I often forget to add the vinegar and diced tomatoes & green chiles after it cooks.  I have had it both ways and don't notice much of a difference in flavor.  The tomatoes & green chiles do add some vibrant color though (the picture above does not include the tomatoes & green chiles).  I personally enjoy mine with a dash of hot sauce (okay, several dashes).  The recipe in Cooking Light does not recommend the peanuts, that is my addition; I love the added crunch.

If you don't have the Best of Cooking Light Everyday Favorites cookbook, feel free to save the recipe card below.  This is a no-fail recipe, full of flavor!  It's one of my husband and I's favorite recipes and I'm proud to say that even Baby J scarfed it down tonight.  Bon Appetit!



5 comments:

  1. Yummy! I will have to try this. I would have replied to your comment on my running post but you are a no-reply comment blogger! I don't know if I am up for a full, but maybe a half? and I'm totally up for doing it somewhere fun! maybe we could work out a training/accountability schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delish! I'm going to have to try that very soon! And I think I have that cookbook ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the one with the lemon-blueberry bundt cake so it must be the same one.

      Delete
  3. This looks yummy! I'm going to have to make it soon. I also enjoyed your grocery post and look forward to the coming ones. I have been trying to pay more attention to our grocery budget lately too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy Ann! I'm thankful for recipes like this that are very easy on the budget and delicious at the same time! I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete

Go ahead, leave a comment, I dare you.