Pages

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Don't Be Something You Are Not

Don't be something you are not.  Lesson learned.

Although I am sometimes lucky enough to pull a good outfit out of my closet, by no means would I ever say I have an eye for fashion.  I follow a couple of fashion blogs just to see what's trending and to give me some ideas on how to style my current wardrobe.  One of my favorites is J is for Jessica.  She has a unique style and is not afraid to try something out of the norm.  I like her style and I like her.  She just so happens to be my sister-in-law too so I'm pretty lucky.

Here are some of my favorite styles she has featured on her blog.  And my all time favorite post, the 7x7 Challenge.
Four years ago I won a pair of Steve Madden black combat boots.  I had no idea how to style them so as soon as I found out I had a fashionista in the family, I gave her the challenge of 'how to style combat boots'.  She took the challenge (here).  That was September 25th of last year.  It wasn't until last week that I finally wore the boots for the first time.

When I finally stepped foot out of the house I was so proud to introduce the boots to pavement.  It's about time they see sunlight.  They even got to meet snow.  I was so excited to finally be wearing them that I pumped my ego up to the point of wanting to take a picture of myself in the outfit.  I love all the outfit pictures that fashion bloggers take so I thought, why not take one myself?  Hindsight is 20/20.
Old camera + bad lighting + bad poses = super awkward outfit pictures that do no justice to the outfit.  I even tried the 'selfie outfit picture' (lower right) that Shanna pulls off so well in her Instagram photos.  How do they do it?

I am happy that I finally wore my combat boots and I hope Jessica is proud of me for trying to style them.  With that said, I am taking home a big lesson today: although I enjoy reading fashion blogs, I will never be a fashion blogger.  I should stick to what I do best - Faith, Family, Food and Football.  Fashion is just not one of my F's.

1 comment:

  1. Yay, I'm so honored, and so proud you wore your boots! I think it looks great! You can be a fashion blogger if you want, you can do whatever you want in the blogging world! :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, leave a comment, I dare you.