Pages

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

My Top Ten for Traveling with an Infant

Baby J turns one next week.  There have been several times over the past year that I have wished for a handbook on parenthood.  Just one book with all the answers, is that too much to ask?  If there were such a handbook, one of the topics I would have looked up is “how to travel with an infant”.  In the first year of his life he has taken 7 trips, 4 by plane, 3 by car, and been to a total of 13 different states (AL, AZ, CO, IA, IL, IN, KS, MN, NE, OK, SD, TX and WI).   

Since there is no one handbook with all the answers, I did what every other good parent does: I went to the internet for answers and asked friends who are parents for any tips they might have on traveling.  I overloaded my brain with information and then jumped in the pool of parents traveling with babies for the first time.  Sometimes we sank, sometimes we swam, but there were definitely some items that helped keep us afloat. 
  1. Pacifier Clip + extra paci -  A pacifier clip is essential for keeping the pacifier off the floor and in safe keeping.  Although it's pretty good, the clip is not 100% foolproof at keeping the pacifier germ-free so when it does make contact with something dirty, just switch it out with the backup paci.  *I bring multiple backups because you never know when one might get lost and in my experience you NEVER want to be without a paci.
  2. Snap N Go Universal Infant Car Seat Stroller - If you are traveling with an infant car seat, this is essential.  It is the easiest way to get through the airport with a baby and the easiest stroller to travel with in the car because it takes up so little room.  I also found it useful to run errands around town.  This has been one of our most used baby items and I can't emphasize how essential it is for traveling!
  3. Ergo Carrier - If you are flying but not bringing an infant car seat, a baby carrier is a must.  It's an easy way to carry baby through the airport while keeping your hands free to roll a luggage bag.  My baby is a squirmer (his nickname is Wiggle Buns) so I need something to reign him in while I'm walking through crowds of people.  Although he sometimes fights the carrier, he eventually gives up the struggle and enjoys the ride.  *This is also helpful if you are traveling alone with a baby, don't have a stroller and need to go to the restroom. I learned that the hard way one time but luckily the janitor lady held Baby J while I quickly went potty. When you have to go, you have to go.
  4. Car seat/Stroller Gate Check Bag - If you are traveling with a car seat or stroller, you won't want to be without these bags.  They are useful for many reasons.  First and foremost, they keep your car seat and stroller clean (luggage compartments on planes are far from clean).  Two, they identify your car seat and stroller (there is a place on the bag to write your information in permanent marker).  Three, they are obvious as to what they hold and bright red so the plane attendants often unload them first which means you don't have to wait as long on the jet bridge.  We considered several types of car seat bags, some with wheels, some $100+, but in the end we were very happy with these and according to my husband they are easy to carry with the handle that is attached.
  5. Backpack with easy access side pockets - We have an over the shoulder diaper bag that works for every day occasions but when it comes to traveling, I need something bigger and with more pockets.  For flying, I particularly like to have secure side pockets like the netted ones in the picture.  The back pack needs to be able to hold diapers, wipes, clothes (see #10), bottles, food (see #8), entertainment (see #7), wallet, phone, etc.  When flying, I try to have Baby J sucking or swallowing on take off or landing to help his ears deal with the pressure changes.  Sometimes that meant nursing (see #9) or sucking on a paci, but sometimes it meant taking a bottle.  The netted side pockets were perfect for bottle storage!  I could get to them fast, put them away easily and if they were to spill, it wouldn't get on anything else in the bag.   
  6. 2-sided blanket - I quickly came to the conclusion that diaper changing pads that come with diaper bags are just a waste of space.  For traveling I would much rather have a 2-sided blanket because it can be used for comfort, warmth, privacy (see #9) and diaper changes.  By 2-sided I mean that it has sides with two very different prints of fabric.  I like this feature because then I strictly reserve one side for germy surfaces (diaper changing stations) and the other side for Baby J to touch & cuddle with.  
  7. Phone or Tablet - Every time I saw a parent letting their child play with their phone or tablet I immediately judged them and thought they were using it as a cop out for entertainment so they wouldn't have to play with their children.  That was before I became a parent.  I have now walked in their shoes and have resulted in the same decision.  Although it's not a toy that I let Baby J play with often at home, I will use it in public places to spare others the sound of a crying baby.  To the parents who came before me and did the same thing, thank you.  
  8. Favorite snack - Once babies reach the age where they can eat solid foods, you should never go anywhere without snacks.  Baby J started with puffs and Cheerios, then transitioned into bananas, yogurt melts, Goldfish and Ritz crackers.  Snacks keep a tummy full, a baby occupied and help pass the time.
  9. Nursing Camisole + Cardigan - If you are a nursing mom, this is the most convenient clothing to wear for travel.  To make it even easier, wear a nursing camisole with built-in cups so that you don't have to wear a bra.  The nursing camisole provides the easiest and quickest access for nursing while the cardigan acts as a cover up and extra privacy.  Sometimes the nursing cover wasn't always convenient to grab or added too much bulk in an airplane seat that is already cramped.  Instead I would choose the window seat so Papa J could help provide privacy and just use my cardigan or the blanket (see #6) to prevent any exposure.
  10. Extra change of clothes (baby & mom) - A friend gave me this advice and I'm glad she did.  The first time we flew with Baby J he pooped and had a blowout.  Unfortunately the blowout leaked on to my lap and we both needed a change of clothes.  Although we couldn't do anything about the mess until we got off the plane, it was nice to have poop-free clothes to change into.  Since we're on the subject, it's also good to bring a grocery sack or trash bag to put the poopy clothes in, and maybe a Tide pen or Spray-n-Wash wipe because baby poop has been known to stain.  
Below is a summary of the travel we have done, what type and at what age.  It also states whether I would choose that method of travel again or if I think the other type would have been better.
Bon Voyage!!

4 comments:

  1. I love your mommy advice! It gives me so much "ammo" for when I become a mommy someday :) Thank you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post!! I will keep all these things in mind with Traveling with Peanut in the future. However, I doubt we will do much flying since driving is faster than dealing with an airport for the places we regularly travel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I see much more car travel in your future. It probably wouldn't be very easy to fly into Sweetwater. :)

      Delete

Go ahead, leave a comment, I dare you.