Pages

Friday, February 21, 2014

Award for Best Valentine

The award for best valentine this year goes to my husband.  Hands down.  No contest.  He is always gracious and giving but this year he went over the top.  It all started Wednesday night...

Wednesday:  A surprise announcement that Papa J had a 4 day weekend.  Even 1 day off over a weekend is hard to come by in the life of a college football coach, let alone a FOUR day weekend so that put me on top of the world.  

Thursday:  This year we opted to make our cards instead of buying them at the store.  We take different approaches to this.  Papa J made mine on the computer, very digital and perfect with a twist of humor.  Baby J and I made ours for Papa J with pieces of scrap paper, glue, an ink pad, thumb prints, well, you get the idea, very kid friendly and cute.  Next to my card was a beautiful bouquet of flowers from none other than my baby boy.  He already has a keen taste for floral arrangements I must say.   
His gift: a surprise trip to El Paso, TX in June to see our good friends and their new baby girl.  My gifts: one was to be revealed Friday night and the other on Saturday afternoon.  How exciting, I love surprises!!

Friday: I woke up with anticipation for what the day would hold.  I even painted my nails pink glitter on top of pink just to show my excitement for the Valentine's holiday.  The day was relaxed, full of time to run errands, cross things off my to do list, and generally be worry free because Papa was home and there was an extra set of eyes on Baby J.  I have been known to be late to many functions over the years and can still be found guilty of that, but not when it comes to a date night with my man.  I start getting ready hours in advance and when the time comes, I am ready to hit the door because when you have a baby sitter lined up, you take advantage of it.  After dropping Baby J off, we made our way to the nearby town of Flandreau, SD to try a local joint called Mad Mary's.  
I love trying new restaurants and this one had been on my radar for over a year so bonus points to Papa J for making it the restaurant of choice.  They are known for their steaks so we both indulged in filet mignon wrapped in bacon.  It was delicious and perfectly cooked!  With no curfew from our baby sitter we made our way to the local movie theater (which recently turned digital, woot woot) and watched The Lego Movie.  It was very funny but something I'll have to watch again because I slept through 1/3 of it.  I just can't do movies past 9pm anymore (man that makes me sound old).  

Saturday:  This day started with my surprise for Papa J, the final Valentine's treat: chocolate covered strawberries.  They are his favorite!  
The afternoon surprise was a trip to the spa for an ultimate spa pedicure, 45 minute facial and 60 minute massage, oh and lets not forget the most important part, 3 hours of no crying babies.  Awwww, bliss.  It was spectacular!  The service was great.  The environment was relaxing.  I just wish I could have stayed longer, but I'm glad I didn't because there was another surprise waiting for me at home.  While I was gone, Papa J had cleaned the WHOLE house, even scrubbed the toilet and shower.  I was blown away.  

Even if he had asked me what I wanted for Valentine's Day I don't think I could have come up with all of this.  It was beyond perfect.  It was exactly what I needed.  HELP WITH BABY J + QUALITY TIME WITH MY LOVE + HELP AROUND THE HOUSE + ALONE TIME all risen to the power of a bouquet of beautiful flowers = one happy mommy who will be cherishing this Valentine's day for years to come.  Thank you honey!!!


2 comments:

  1. You are truly blessed to have such a wonderful and caring husband like Papa J!!!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, leave a comment, I dare you.